1. Pink Moon - Beck (Nick Drake) I mean really.
2. Hey Joe - Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds (The Leaves) This song was made famous by Jimi Hendrix though, and I can imagine Nick Cave had the intention of covering him, not The Leaves. The way Nick delivers it, he really has you believing he’s going to kill someone.
3. Tonight - Mark Lanegan (Afghan Whigs) His version is much more haunting and less - sorry Greg! - childish, it adds a certain edge that Greg Dulli’s voice just couldn’t quite deliver.
4. Mr. Grieves - TV on the Radio (The Pixies) it’s a cappella, I mean REALLY!
5. Song To The Siren - John Frusciante (Tim Buckley) Now of course Tim Buckley’s is beautiful in every way, he puts a lot of himself into his song writing and I 100% love him and his music.
I just more recently discovered he lost his life to a heroin addiction. I think it’s touching that John (who also suffered from addiction) covered this song. The emotional connection his voice projects make’s in a great cover in my opinion.
6. The Pusher - Blind Melon (Steppenwolf) I like the anti-religion twist they put on it, not to say I’m against religion but it make’s me like the song even more, and Shannon’s voice is a perfect match for it! Great cover.
7. China Girl - David Bowie (Iggy Pop) David Bowie took out the doomy apocalyptic sound Iggy had and totally sexed it up, as you do. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uciyYTZ2B38
8. Jolene - The White Stripes (Dolly Parton)
9. Sea of Love - Cat Power (Phil Philips) Moves me, original and the cover. Myra Lee has the most intoxicating and sweet voice I have ever heard though, I could listen to her talk all day…
10. Louie, Louie - The Kingsmen (Richard Berry) I might be a little biased with this, since this song reminds me so much of my childhood.
11. Love Hurts - Nazareth (Everly Brothers) Well, the just totally nailed it didn’t they?
12. I fought the law - Dead Kennedys (The Crickets) It annoys me that The Clash didn’t think to change the lyrics to “I fought the law and I won”, but it worked out in the end since Jello Biafra - the craziest mother fucker ever - rocked it himself, thank god.
13. I Can’t Seem To Make You Mine - Garbage (The Seeds) From what I’ve read this isn’t a very popular b-side of theirs, but I’ve loved it for ages. Shirley can do no wrong in my eyes.
14. Rye Whiskey - Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds (Woody Guthrie) The drawl of Nick’s voice will always sell me. He honestly sounds like he’s had a few in his version.
I’ll probably keep adding to this list. There are just too many to choose from, but I can hardly keep my eyes open.
What are your favourite covers?
Every good rock & roll fan is going to go through a Zeppelin phase, I went through mine at about fifteen. I was obsessed, I could not get enough. They opened me up to a lot more different kinds of music. I think bigger, more ‘staple’ bands like Led Zeppelin help set people up to a world of other equally amazing and talented bands to indulge in, they definitely did their part guiding me toward other great bands.
So as my little tribute to the Led, I’m going to make a list of my all time most repeated, most appreciated, and most worshipped songs.
1. Over The Hills And Far Away
2. Ramble On
3. The Wanton Song
4. Good Times, Bad Times
5. Going To California
6. Bron-Y-Aur Stomp
8. Houses Of The Holy
11. I Can’t Quit You Baby
12. D’yer Ma’ker
13. Dazed and Confused
14. Ten Years Gone
15. That’s The Way
It’s been pouring rain for weeks (with the random sunny days) but when you listen to the right music, or read the right book it make’s it feel less drab and boring. I thought I’d make a playist of the songs I’ve been listening too this grey afternoon.
1. Interstate 8 - Modest Mouse
2. Black Sun Morning - Screaming Trees
3. Let’s Move To The Country - Smog
4. Bron-Yr-Aur - Led Zeppelin
5. In The Light - Led Zeppelin
6. Pull My Hair - Bright Eyes
7. Naked If I Want Too - Cat Power
8. What Else Is New? - Dinosaur Jr.
9. Radio Cure - Wilco
10. Good Feeling - Violent Femmes
11. Coney Island Baby - Lou Reed
12. Doll Skin - Toadies
13. I Have Loved You Wrong - The Swell Season
14. 50ft Queenie - PJ Harvey
15. Your Funeral, My Trail - Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds
16. Mark Lanegan (you all knew it was coming) - Borracho
17. Mark Lanegan - Ugly Sunday
18. Can’t Seem To Make You Mine - Garbage
19. Rockstar - Hole
20. Pardon Me? - Incubus
These songs don’t seem to all mesh together so well.